"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor and the year of the Lord's favor." (Luke 4:18-19)
As a local church, we need to be engaged in the local community to be an influence in the community. Jesus said, "the Spirit of the Lord is upon me because He has appointed me to preach the gospel to the poor..." (Luke 4:18) and Paul insists "not forget the poor"(Gal 2:10), as a church, we have a biblical mandate to serve the poor and the needy.
This course aims to provide theological and practical training to believers equipping and empowering them to serve in the Church's outreach to the community. The course covers a biblical foundation of a missional church, an understanding of the church's vision, building the right perspective for ministry, practical skills for outreach and evangelism, understanding the local culture and the people you serve (with focus on the poor and the elderly) and an emphasis on field training. The certificate level course is opened to all who has a heart for local missions and serving the local poor and marginalized.
• build a firm biblical foundation and conviction to serve the poor, marginalized and underprivileged.
• be equipped and empowered with the right mindset and tools to minister the community
• through learning and prayer experience personal transformation and renewal of calling
• build a community of believers to serve for the cause of Christ and for the building of the local church.
• Loving the people – what does the Word of God say?
• Knowing the people – what are the needs of the local community?
• Serving the people – How can the church make an impact in the community?
There will be three main components:
2. Cohort unit (Small Group): Small group reflection, Spiritual empowerment, skills activation, project mobilization and teamwork.
3. Practicum: Field Visitations, field practicum and execution of a final project/outreach event
Students need to complete at least 5 lecture sessions and the practicum of the course in order to receive the certificate.
Date: March to May, 2017: 6 Saturdays
Time: 2:00 to 5:00 pm
Venue: ICA Tanner (1/F, 44-50 Tanner Road, North Point, Hong Kong)
Mar 25 Mission of God: Why Community service? – Rev. Dr. Edmound Teo
Apr 8 Knowing the Father, knowing the people: Understand our Father’s heart and know the needs of the local community – Rev. Dr. Lai Chun Moon Samuel
Apr 22 Perspectives: Kingdom ministry - What does the bible say about the poor and the marginalized? – Rev. Betty Chung
Apr 29 Ministry Focus: identify ICA ministry to the poor and the different NGO strategies – Mr. Nigel Sze
May 13 Ways to Transform - ideas, stories and skills – Rev. Fraun Chung
May 20 On Servanthood: spiritual disciplines and the nurturing of a servant heart– Rev. Betty Chung
Apr 21 (Friday) – One night as Homeless = Sleep in the streets of Shum Shui Po
Registration and Payment
To register, please send the completed application form and recommendation form together with the payment to:
ICA Academy Limited
1/F Workingberg Commercial Building
41-47 Marble Road, North Point, HK
(Attn. :Local Community Services Training)
Mar 19, 2017
Please call 2102 0913 or email: email@example.com